Insurance by PayLease — Website Privacy Notice
Last Updated: November 17, 2022
At PayLease Insurance Services, LLC, a Global Payments company (“Insurance by PayLease”), we respect your concerns about privacy.
This Website Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes our privacy practices with respect to the personal information we collect from and about users of and visitors to our website(s), blogs, applications, social media sites or pages and other online or mobile services that link to or from or expressly reference this Notice (collectively the “Sites” or “Services”). Please note that our Sites and Services are intended exclusively for residents of the United States and Canada, and that we do not offer any products or services to persons located within the United Kingdom or the European Economic Area.
Insurance by PayLease works with partners to provide insurance coverage solutions for renters and property managers. In order to deliver our services, and in order to connect interested individuals with our partners’ services, we collect personal information about the individuals who interact with us or request a product or service from us or a partner. This Notice describes how we process that personal information.
Please read this Notice carefully. If you have any questions, you may contact us at
firstname.lastname@example.org or by using the methods provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
Select one of the links below to jump to the relevant section:
- Personal Information We Collect
- Data Anonymization and Aggregation
- Sources of Personal Information
- How We Use the Personal Information We Obtain
- How We Share the Personal Information We Collect
- Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
- External Links
- Our Relationship with Affiliate Companies
- Our Commitment to Data Security
- Managing Your Preferences
- Your Legal Rights
- Information for California Residents
- Changes & Updates
- Choice of Law
- Contact Us
Personal Information We Collect
Subject to your consent if required by law, we collect the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers, including name and contact details like telephone number and email address;
- Commercial information, such as information about your business or your need for renter’s coverage, and about and your preferences regarding products and related services which are of interest to you (see “Managing Your Preferences” below);
- Internet/electronic activity, including information derived from cookies and other tracking technologies, such as location, device identifier, usage and browsing history;
- Geolocation data, such as business address and IP address;
- Information you provide if you report a problem with our Sites or Services; and
- Records of any correspondence we have with you.
Data Anonymization and Aggregation
We may anonymize or aggregate your personal information in such a way as to ensure that you are not identified or identifiable from it, in order to use the anonymized or aggregated data for statistical analysis, including analysis of trends, to carry out actuarial work, to tailor products and services and to conduct risk assessments and analysis of costs and charges in relation to our products and services. We may share anonymized or aggregated data with our global affiliates and with other third parties. This Notice does not restrict our use or sharing of any non-personal, deidentified, anonymized or aggregated information.
Sources of Personal Information
Information that you provide to us: We collect personal information that you provide to us when you interact with the Sites and Services or communicate with us. For example, if you use a web form to request a quote for insurance coverage, we may request your name, contact information, and business information. Providing us with personal information about yourself is voluntary, and you can choose not to provide certain information, but then you may not be able to take advantage of or participate in some of the services.
Information collected from third parties: We collect information about you from third parties in the course of providing our services to you. For example, if we refer your request for a quote to a partner based on your consent, we may later learn from that partner that you purchased a product or service from them. We may also receive business related information about you from third party companies that supplement our business customer records with firmographic and professional information.
Information collected through technology: When you interact with our Sites and Services, we collect certain personal information automatically such as your IP address and/or device identifier, and usage information such as pages that you visit, information about links you click, the types of content you interact with, the frequency and duration of your activities, and other information about how you use our Services. You have the ability to express your preference regarding some of the ways we collect information through technology in some of our services (see “Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies” for more information).
How We Use the Personal Information We Obtain
Subject to your consent if required by law, we may use your personal information for the following business and commercial purposes:
- To provide services to you;
- To contact you regarding any inquiry you make or to fulfill a request, such as, for example, a request for information about our products and services or a partner’s products or services;
- To contact you if you have signed up for e-newsletters or any other updates, communications or publications;
- To verify or maintain the quality and safety of our products and services or our partners’ products and services and to improve, upgrade, or enhance our services;
- To detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecute individuals responsible for that activity;
- To enable internal record keeping and administration of records;
- To personalize your experience when you use our Sites and Services;
- To track information about our interactions with you, including, but not limited to, counting advertising impressions to unique visitors and verifying positioning and quality of advertising impressions;
- To send you direct marketing materials, subject to your consent if required by applicable law (see “Managing Your Preferences” below); and
- To comply with applicable laws and regulations.
We will retain your personal information only for as long as is necessary to complete the business or legal purposes for which we collected it, unless we are required by law to retain it for a longer period of time. In many cases, the retention time period will correspond to the time period for which you have an account or other type of business relationship with us, plus a defined period after that relationship ends, which will be defined by our regulatory requirements.
How we Share the Personal Information We Collect
We are a Global Payments company, meaning we are a part of a multinational family of businesses headquartered in the United States, with affiliates in countries around the world. Your personal information may therefore be disclosed to recipients within our organization who are located outside of your country, including to our affiliates (see “Our Relationship with Affiliate Companies” below).
For each category of personal information we collect, we may share such information in the manner and for the purposes described below:
- With companies engaged to help us run our business, subject to your consent if required by law. These types of companies may include distributors of our products and services, service providers retained to perform functions on our behalf or to provide services to us, including (without limitation) legal, accounting, audit, consulting and other professional service providers, and providers of other services related to our business. Portions of our services may be provided by organizations with which Insurance by PayLease has a contractual relationship, including subcontractors, and, accordingly, your personal information may be disclosed to them. We take steps aimed at ensuring that all such persons process your personal information as disclosed by us only as necessary for their service delivery and for no other purpose;
- With third parties with whom you have a relationship, such as any third-party who may have referred you to Insurance by PayLease for services;
- With logistics service providers to enable the delivery of packages to individuals;
- With other third parties, such as our partners, with whom you direct us to share your personal information, subject to your specific consent for such data sharing;
- With regulators, as required to enable compliance with laws, regulations and industry standards applicable to our business;
- In response to a court order or a request for cooperation from a regulatory, law enforcement or other government agency;
- To establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend legal claims; or as otherwise required or permitted by applicable laws and/or regulations;
- When we believe that disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding actual or suspected illegal activity, fraud, or other wrongdoing or to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of Insurance by PayLease, its customers, staff, suppliers or others; and
- To purchasers and, subject to local legal requirements, prospective purchasers in the event that Insurance by PayLease and/or its global affiliate companies (as applicable) disposes of, or considers the disposition of, any of its/their business or assets.
We do not sell your personal information to third parties for monetary compensation, and we do not share your personal information with third parties for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes. When we share your personal information with a partner in order to provide a requested quote or service to you, we do so based on your consent.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
The cookies and tracking technologies that we may use on the Sites fall into the following categories:
Strictly Necessary. These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions taken by you such as logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but blocking them may impede the functionality of the Sites.
Performance. These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our Sites. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and to see how visitors move around the Sites. All information these cookies collect is aggregated. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site, and will not be able to monitor its performance.
Functionality. These cookies enable the Sites to provide enhanced functionality and personalization. They may be set by us or by third-party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some of these services may not function properly.
Targeting. These cookies may be set through our Sites by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant advertisements on other sites.They are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.
How to Delete or Block Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
On some Sites, when technically feasible, we will enable tools to help you make choices about cookies and other tracking technologies. You may also delete or block cookies at any time by changing your browser settings. You can click “Help” in the toolbar of your browser for instruction or review the cookie management guide produced by the Interactive Advertising Bureau available at www.allaboutcookies.org. If you delete or block cookies, some features of the Sites may not function properly.
Insurance by PayLease works with partners to provide insurance coverage solutions for renters and property managers. To do this, we make consent-based referrals, and we provide links to those partners’ websites, which are not under control. We cannot endorse or make any warranty of any type regarding the content contained on such websites or the products and services offered on those websites. We make no representation regarding your use of such websites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of the operators of those other websites, and we encourage our users to be aware when they leave our Sites and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects their personal information. This Notice applies solely to information collected by us. You should read any other applicable privacy and cookies notices carefully before accessing and using such other websites.
Our Relationship with Affiliate Companies (Including Sharing)
Subject to your consent if required by applicable law, we may appoint an affiliate company to process personal information in a service provider role. We will remain responsible for that company’s processing of your personal information pursuant to applicable data privacy laws. Because our affiliate companies are located around the globe, your personal information may be transferred to and stored in the United States or in another country outside of the country in which you reside, which may be subject to different standards of data protection than your country of residence. We take appropriate steps to ensure that transfers of personal information are in accordance with applicable law, are carefully managed to protect your privacy rights and interests and limited to countries which are recognized as providing an adequate level of legal protection or where alternative adequate arrangements are in place to protect your privacy rights.
Our Commitment to Data Security
We take seriously our responsibility to protect the security and privacy of the information we receive via our Sites and Services. We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide via the Sites and Services against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Any suspected attempt to breach our policies and procedures, or to engage in any type of unauthorized action involving our information systems, is regarded as potential criminal activity. Suspected computer mischief may be reported to the appropriate authorities.
Please remember that communications over the internet such as emails are not secure. We seek to keep secure all confidential information and personal information submitted to us through our Sites and Services in accordance with our obligations under applicable laws and regulations. However, like all website operators, we cannot guarantee the security of any data transmitted through the internet.
Managing Your Preferences
Subject to your consent if required by applicable law, we may use your personal information to provide you with direct marketing information about our products and services as well as those of our global affiliates and third parties. Our direct marketing may be by email, telephone, post or SMS or such other method(s) as may become relevant. In addition, we may provide direct marketing information and permit others to do that as allowed by our customers’ respective contracts.
We will take steps to ensure that any direct marketing from us will provide a simple means for you to stop further communications, in accordance with applicable law. For example, in email, we may provide you with an “unsubscribe” link, or an email address to which you can send an opt-out request. In addition, if we need your consent for direct marketing communications under applicable law, and if you provide your consent, you will be able to change your mind at any time.
Your Legal Rights
Subject to certain exemptions, and in some cases dependent upon the processing activity we are undertaking, you may have the right to:
- Know whether we process your personal information;
- Know how your personal information is used;
- Access, request and receive the personal information we have collected in a portable manner;
- Object to having your personal information sold or shared; and
- Request that we delete your personal data.
You may contact us using the information in the Contact Us section of this Notice for additional information about how to exercise your rights.
Information for California Residents
If you are a California resident, this section applies to you, in addition to the rest of the Notice.
California Shine the Light
If you are a resident of California, you may request information concerning the categories of personal information (if any) we share with third parties or affiliates for their direct marketing purposes. If you would like more information, please submit a written request to us using the information provided in the “Contact Us” section of this Notice.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect and Our Purposes for Collection and Use
You can find a list of the categories of personal information that we collect in the “Personal Information We Collect” section above. For details regarding the sources from which we obtain personal information, please see the “Sources of Personal Information” section above. We collect and use personal information for the business or commercial purposes described in the “How We Use the Personal Information We Obtain” section above.
Categories of Personal Information Disclosed and Categories of Recipients
Our disclosures of personal information are described in the “How We Share the Personal Information We Collect” section above. To further clarify the content of that section, we disclose the following categories of personal information for business or commercial purposes to the categories of recipients listed below:
- We share Identifiers with: service providers, affiliates and third party partners.
- We share Geolocation Data with: service providers, affiliates and third party partners.
- We share Internet/Electronic Activity with: service providers, affiliates and third party partners.
- We share Commercial Information with: service providers, affiliates and third party partners.
As a California resident, you have rights with regard to your personal information. You can contact us using the information provide in the “Contact Us” section of this Notice with regard to the following rights:
|Right to know about personal information collected, disclosed, and sold
|You have the right to request, twice in a 12-month period, the following information about the personal information we have collected about you during the past 12 months:
|Right to opt-out of the sale of personal information
|You may request that we do not sell your personal information to third parties. You may also request that we do not share your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising.
|Right to request deletion
|In some circumstances, you have the right to have your personal information erased or deleted.
|Right to equal service and
|You have the right to request that we correct any inaccuracies in your personal information.
|Right to request correction
|In some circumstances, you have the right to have your personal information erased or deleted.
|Right to limit the use and disclosure of sensitive personal information
|In some circumstances, you may request that we limit the use and disclosure of your sensitive personal information.
Our Sites and Services are not intended for use by children. We do not solicit or knowingly accept any personal information from persons under the age of 18 and we do not sell or share personal information of consumers under age 18. Please do not use the Sites or Services if you are under the age of 18.
Changes and Updates
We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to modify, update, add to, discontinue, remove or otherwise change any portion of this Notice, in whole or in part, at any time. When we amend this Notice, we will revise the “Last Updated” date located at the top of the document. We will also take reasonable steps to ensure you are made aware of any material updates including providing you direct communication about such changes or providing a notification through the services, as appropriate. If you provide personal information to us or access or use our Sites or Services after this Notice has been changed, you will be deemed to have unconditionally consented and agreed to such changes. The most current version of this Notice will be available on the Sites and Services and will supersede all previous versions of this Notice.
Choice of Law
Except where prohibited by law, this Notice, including all revisions and amendments thereto, is governed by the laws of the United States, State of Georgia, without regard to its conflict or choice of law principles which would require application of the laws of another jurisdiction.
Except where prohibited by law, by using our Sites or Services, you unconditionally consent and agree that: (1) any claim, dispute, or controversy (whether in contract, tort, or otherwise) you may have against Insurance by PayLease and/or its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and each of their respective members, officers, directors and employees (all such individuals and entities collectively referred to herein as the “Global Payments Entities” arising out of, relating to, or connected in any way with the services or the determination of the scope or applicability of this agreement to arbitrate, will be resolved exclusively by final and binding arbitration administered by JAMS and conducted before a sole arbitrator in accordance with the rules of JAMS; (2) this arbitration agreement is made pursuant to a transaction involving interstate commerce, and shall be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act (“FAA”), 9 U.S.C. §§ 1-16; (3) the arbitration shall be held in Atlanta, Georgia; (4) the arbitrator’s decision shall be controlled by the terms and conditions of this Notice and any of the other agreements referenced herein that the applicable user may have entered into in connection with the services; (5) the arbitrator shall apply Georgia law consistent with the FAA and applicable statutes of limitations, and shall honor claims of privilege recognized at law; (6) there shall be no authority for any claims to be arbitrated on a class or representative basis, arbitration can decide only your and/or the applicable Global Payments Entity; individual claims; the arbitrator may not consolidate or join the claims of other persons or parties who may be similarly situated; (7) the arbitrator shall not have the power to award punitive damages against you or any Global Payments Entity; (8) in the event that the administrative fees and deposits that must be paid to initiate arbitration against any Global Payments Entity exceed $125 USD, and you are unable (or not required under the rules of JAMS) to pay any fees and deposits that exceed this amount, Global Payments agrees to pay them and/or forward them on your behalf, subject to ultimate allocation by the arbitrator. In addition, if you are able to demonstrate that the costs of arbitration will be prohibitive as compared to the costs of litigation, Global Payments will pay as much of your filing and hearing fees in connection with the arbitration as the arbitrator deems necessary to prevent the arbitration from being cost-prohibitive; and (9) with the exception of subpart (6) above, if any part of this arbitration provision is deemed to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal, or otherwise conflicts with the rules of JAMS, then the balance of this arbitration provision shall remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with its terms as if the invalid, unenforceable, illegal or conflicting provision were not contained herein. If, however, subpart (6) is found to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal, then the entirety of this Arbitration Provision shall be null and void, and neither you nor Global Payments shall be entitled to arbitrate their dispute. For more information on JAMS and/or the rules of JAMS, visit their website at www.jamsadr.com.
If you have questions about this Notice, or if you want to exercise your rights as described in this Notice, you can submit a request by completing this form or you may contact us as follows:
PayLease Insurance Services, LLC
9350 Waxie Way, Suite 550
San Diego, CA 92123
In order to honor any access or deletion request, we will require you to provide enough information for us to verify your identity. For example, we may ask you for information associated with your account, including your contact information or other identifying information. If you designate an authorized agent to make a rights request on your behalf, we may require proper proof of that authorization as well as direct verification of your identity from you.